About The Friends
1. Who are the Friends
The Friends are a group of people who care deeply about the railway heritage of the North East of England and want to see the 1825 Stockton and Darlington Railway line receive the recognition and the protection it deserves as the start of the modern railway network from which all modern passenger railways across the world developed.
2. The Friends' Vision
To work with statutory, non-statutory and voluntary bodies to identify, preserve, promote and develop the 1825 Stockton & Darlington Railway line as an educational, cultural and historic site of international significance and to develop its recreational, economic and tourism potential.
3. Aims and Objectives of the Friends
- To promote the educational, cultural and historic importance of international significance of the route of the 1825 Stockton and Darlington Railway, to develop its recreational, economic and tourism potential and to encourage its enjoyment by all.
- To recognise and raise the worldwide profile and the importance of the 1825 Stockton & Darlington Railway line.
- To foster pride in belonging to an area which has played a significant and important part in world history.
- To maximise the tourist potential of the 1825 Stockton & Darlington Railway line thereby bringing tourists to the area and making the area a tourist destination.
- To contribute to the economic regeneration of the area through the creation of jobs, generate income for businesses and encourage the relocation of businesses to the area on the back of its history.
- To protect the route of the 1825 Stockton and Darlington Railway from development which does not respect the uniqueness of the line and seeks to sever and destroy any part of the route.
- To promote the contribution which the route of the 1825 Stockton and Darlington Railway can make to good health, conservation and the environment.
- To pursue National Heritage Listing for England and World Heritage Status for the 1825 Stockton & Darlington Railway line.
4. Interested in Joining?
We are open to all people from all backgrounds. For more information about joining us and helping us achieve our objectives, please see our membership page